Sabina Chege: I Shelved An Offer To Be Nairobi Deputy Governor

Sabina Chege: I Shelved An Offer To Be Nairobi Deputy Governor


I Shelved An Offer To Be Nairobi Deputy Governor


Sabina Chege, a nominated Member of Parliament, has revealed that she declined an offer to be the Deputy Governor of Nairobi during the last election in order to support former President Uhuru Kenyatta. Speaking on Inooro TV on Sunday, Sabina stated that many other Jubilee leaders, who had proven track records, were unable to retain their positions due to their political stance.



"I was offered the position of Nairobi Deputy Governor, but I turned it down to ensure that our leader, Uhuru, would complete his tenure properly and not leave in disgrace," Sabina said.



Sabina, who recently visited State House, defended her actions, stating that if she had other interests during the last elections, she would have contested for a political seat under the William Ruto-led UDA party.



"It is painful when people call us sellouts. If I had joined UDA, I would have been given a very high position. Today, I would have been an elected leader, and even if I had not won, you have seen how this party rewards its supporters," she added.



During the interview, the legislator defended her decision to support the Kenya Kwanza government, even though she is a member of the Jubilee party in the Azimio Coalition. Sabina stated that she made her decision after much introspection and decided to be part of the solution rather than the problem.


The legislator said that those accusing a group of Jubilee MPs of betrayal for pledging support for the president were mistaken.



"I was hospitalized for 13 days after contracting malaria in Luo Nyanza. People were saying I was pretending," Sabina said.



"I was even summoned by IEBC and went through a lot of tribulations, so no one can threaten me because of a seat. I worked for it."



According to Sabina, some quarters have even accused some legislators of accepting bribes ranging from Ksh.50,000 to Ksh.1,000,000.



"So it is not right to say that I was invited to State House for a handout of Ksh.50,000 or 100,000. That money is not even enough for my daily needs, which are numerous. Ksh.50,000 or 100,000 cannot make me change my stand," the nominated MP argued.



Sabina believes that Jubilee's defeat in the recent elections was primarily due to a lack of proper planning. She claimed that the party had strong top leadership but neglected the grassroots, which were crucial.



"We had a very strong top but were very weak in the grassroots. For example, there were times we went to Murang'a, and after a rally, no one was left in that village talking about Jubilee," Sabina noted.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form